Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Quiche-mas

Ahhh yes, it's that time of year again. As I count down the scant few days before I go home to the Rust  Belt for a week, it's time to talk about the best holiday of the year: Quiche-mas.

Quiche-mas? What is this Quiche-mas "holiday" you speak of? It just happens to be the best nondenominational holiday ever. Started many years ago in honor of a friend for whom Christmas is not a jolly, holly or other things ending in "olly" holiday. So while it might be traditionally held on the 25th of December, it can be held on any day that quiche is served in mass quantities. And why is quiche so special, I hear you cry. Simple, my mother only makes quiche one a year, on Christmas day. I am sure the connection has become clear by now.

And while Quiche-mas comes but once a year, it comes early due to my scheduled trip home. As it's much cheaper and easier to fly home in between the major holidays, I will be home before the normally appointed day. To celebrate my first trip home during the holidays (sort of) in almost 3 years, my family is holding Quiche-mas just for me. I am feeling pretty special. Ask not for whom the quiche bakes, it bakes for thee. . .

All of this is just a prologue for something I wrote for my friend who has inspired it all. For the first time ever, for posterity, here is the full rendition of:

          THE TWELVE DAYS OF QUICHE-MAS
(sung to the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas. In list form, cause I'm lazy)

On the first day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
A Joy of Cooking quiche recipe.
On the second day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Two dozen eggs.
On the third day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Three pints of cream.
On the fourth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Four pounds of cheese.
On the fifth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
 FIVE GOOOOOLD CRUSTS!
On the sixth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Six slabs of bacon.
On the seventh day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Seven whisks a-whisking.
On the eighth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Eight knives a chopping.
On the ninth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Nine toasters toasting.
On the tenth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Ten diners circling.
On the eleventh day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Eleven ovens baking.
On the twelfth day of Quiche-mas my true love gave to me,
Twelve timers timing.

So there you have it. Happy Quiche-mas to all, and to all a good bite.

1 comment: